PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rossair accident in 2017 - training and checking assessment
Old 21st Jul 2018, 02:45
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChoppaGirl
Thank you FOI. I have to say that I have been staggered by many things since this accident occurred. My only aim is to ensure this never happens to anyone else, but it is proving a difficult task.
ChoppaGirl,
To succeed, you have to overcome a very resilient and enduring "culture" in CASA and the "industry", that no history of fatal accidents in asymmetric training seems to dent.

Sadly, the alleged need for realism includes the "realism" of people dying in the name of simulating realism.

CASA prints various "educational material", then "some" FOIs "informally" makes it abundantly clear that "V1 cuts" (in an aeroplane where a V1 performance simply does not exist) will continue to be conducted, as will landings with one engine feathered, as opposed to zero thrust. The "educational material" will be ignored.

CASA and its predecessors are not wholly to blame, there is no shortage of individuals in industry, whose combination of over-confidence and under education and experience make them impervious to the avoidable risks they demand "must be taken" in training.

The bottom line ---- when was the last fatality as a result of a critical engine failure in a light twin, versus a fatality in training for the event. Yes, there have been several, spread over many years, but a fraction of the number in "training".

And ATSB decline to properly investigate, when they have the chance, thus once again making no useful contribution to improving air safety outcomes.

Tootle pip!!