PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS A330 BNE leaves pitot covers on
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2018, 01:38
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also means that the pilots either didn't look at their airspeed indicators for the entire takeoff roll or for some unbelievable reason ignored the lack of airspeed indications
Boeing have the 80 knot call check during the take off roll. I always check the ground speed at the same time for a "reasonableness" check. I have not flown an Airbus but understand they have a 100 knot check during the take off roll. The problem with 100 knots is that it is getting into the high speed regime. If something is picked up, such as significant difference between the ASI readings at that speed check, it doesn't leave much time to decide what action to take, as V1 for example, is much closer. I would have thought the 80 knot call recommended by Boeing means the problem is caught earlier and action taken earlier re keep going or rejecting. It is common to see in the simulator the PM calling 80 knots as an afterthought even though the actual IAS was rapidly passing 90 knots at the time he called 80. Poor airmanship indeed.
Boeing recommend that that if an SOP call (such as 80 knots on take off) is not forthcoming by the PM for whatever reason, the PF should make it and give the actual reading he sees. e.g. "Passing 94 knots my side." . Good airmanship.