PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey
Thread: Guernsey
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2018, 18:53
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of what you say is correct, Jerbourg. Blue Island seems to be about as profitable as AUR ie not ! This certainly gives Derek an excuse to wind it up ; or downsize it; & save himself an awful lot of money ! I agree, what “more profitable routes” can Blue Island possibly find ? Jersey to London City & Bristol are certainly not money spinners - & that is the point of why “Open Skies” is likely to fail.
Airport Planner 1 makes a good, & true, point. In fact, this was the justification for the States to buy AUR in the first place ie protect the Gatwick slots.
virginblue makes an essential point when he says that there is a very distinct lack of airlines with the right equipment for Guernsey routes. But, this is why there is the push to extend the runway from some quarters in Guernsey. But, these people ignore the fact that what determines the amount of destinations & frequency of operations from Guernsey is the DEMAND. Guernsey people (of which I am one) look at Jersey & Easyjet. They think that all that they have to do to get the same number of destinations & cheap fares is get EZY or RYR in (by extending the runway for them). They ignore the fact that there is not the level of demand to attract these airlines.
Guernsey’s population is around 65,000 & falling; Jersey’s is 105,000 & rising. Jersey’s holiday industry is larger than Guernsey’s. These factors mitigate against Guernsey getting the same level of services & destinations as Jersey. I understand the dream of Guernsey residents but, it ain’t gonna happen. You could expand the tourism industry in Guernsey to stimulate demand for air services, but there are not the hotel bed space to counter for a big increase in visitors.
All in all, it is time for Guernsey folk to face reality.