PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 20th Jul 2018, 17:36
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Onceapilot
I would tend to agree with your observation about the centred rudder showing fairly balanced power, along with the limited deviation of flightpath. Beyond that, it is worth noting that engine operating parameters such as RPM, Manifold pressure etc would not necessarily change with a fuel supply or ignition problem. However, the power output certainly does! In this case, there seems to be a certain amount of popping, banging, oil smoke and flame and I guess the crew could tell which engine was in distress.

OAP
Several of us have commented on the apparent lack of rudder (or sideslip) as the a/c passed over the perimeter fence, despite the port-engine failure sequence evidently having started during the latter part of the take-off run. If that is so, the power loss at that stage was minimal. Presumably it developed as the flight progressed, and having to shut an engine down without feathering ability is every piston pilot's nightmare.

Re the relationship between RPM and power/thrust when the throttle and pitch-lever are set at take-off power, I'd be interested if you and others would comment on my previous post. Assuming the flight crew became aware of an engine problem as soon as they were airborne, I think we can assume that the handling pilot would not have called for a power reduction on either engine until they had had a chance to confirm which one was failing.