PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2018, 08:06
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
techair, just testing. I've been following the progress of both the A6MARR and SEMMMS, (South-East Manchester Multi-Modal Strategy) with interest since they began. I doubt whether the A6MARR will be open along it's full length this year, the section around Bramhall is far from complete. Knowing the local councils, they'll want to open it in one go, accompanied by lots of trumpet blowing and flag-waving. It needs to be opened as each section is completed, road-users in that area have suffered enough. With the continuing airport expansion, coupled with the developments at 'Airport City' and the 15,000 new houses proposed along it's length, it will fill up with traffic fairly quickly. Transport/traffic modelling is often spectacularly wrong, and the volumes of road traffic nationwide have grown markedly in the last 5 years. Just listen to Radio 2's hourly traffic reports.
When the SEMMMS strategy documents were published, I can't remember any proposals to introduce charging for motorists accessing any of the region's planned transport 'nodes'. The concept of a road/air/bus/train/tram interchange at Ringway is a splendid idea. I remember messrs Twigg and Muirhead proudly proclaiming "Manchester Airport has a brand-new GTI". (Ground Transport Interchange,- another acronym for you, techair). With the continuing reduction in bus access, 'Rip-Off Ringway' has decided to impose a further 'tax' on those who must use their 'GTI's to access the railway station.

Last edited by ZOOKER; 20th Jul 2018 at 08:52.