PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employment conditions in GA
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2018, 14:02
Global Aviator

Received 129 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontheslide
Within 8 years in GA I went from working 60+ hour weeks whilst only getting paid for 10-15 flight hours a week living off 2 minute noodles (Premium brand if i was lucky) and having 3 of us sleep in one room, to living in a beautiful place where the beers are cold and cheap, a VERY good full time tax free salary and more paid time off than i needed (actually wanted to go to work to keep current sometimes).

The difference...My first job had a 60% pilot turnover in 6 months (during the very early 2010's), my last, we lost 10% of our pilots in 2 years (current pilot *shortage*).

It's like any industry, with no experience you have to put up with some terrible conditions, Yes they mightn't be entirely legal, however these companies usually get a reputation and are unable to keep experienced people. Pilots must use them for what they are, a means to an end - Get your experience and move on!

Now I know I am going to get destroyed for saying this BUT it worked for me throughout my GA career. If you do manage to find an employer/boss who is amazing consider staying with them an extra 6-12 months until you get a good offer to move on. The novelty of a few extra seats or a second engine quickly wears off if it's for an employer who doesn't treat you like the professional you are.
I just need to click the like button! Well said. GA is your apprenticeship.......