PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire
Thread: Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2018, 07:21
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I think that the last time I was in a cinema was when watching 'The Dream is Alive' in the IMAX at Kennedy Space Center - fantastic picture quality and sound, but it wasn't deafening or unpleasant.

Are cinemas all digital nowadays? I guess that Pearl and Dean (you might need to Google that, BV) Kia-Ora and "During the Intermission our sales staff will visit all parts of the theatre" are gone forever - but what else has changed? I've heard that digi-yoof who cannot be parted from WhatsApp for more than a minute at a time spend much of the time staring at their iToys - and even making voice calls in cinemas. No manners...

During Gnat (you'll need to Google that too, BV) days at Valley, there was an Astra opposite the OM and we often went to watch the odd movie. It's probably a 'gym' (whatever those are) these days - but the old Astra manager stood no nonsense. In those halcyon days before security barriers, the locals often came to watch the movies too. During the playing of the National Anthem (I guess that doesn't happen these days either), one bunch of locals at the back didn't stand up. The music stopped, the lights came up and 'Jones-the-movie' bellowed something at them in Welsh - according to our tame Welshman it meant something like "Get up or (Foxtrot Oscar)" - sheepishly they got to their feet...