PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2003, 14:30
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Which is why I'd far sooner watch the BBMF or a Shuttleworth display than most of the 'warbird' displays...

Have seen several close calls over the years; a CF-18 at Abbotsford that missed the ground by 17ft on the AoA limit, a F-111 at Alconbury which started its display with the wing at the wrong sweep angle and got into severe wing rock, a Jetstream at Leuchars which nearly planted itself on the RW - but staggered back to Finningley instead......

A fast, low pass, a few gentle manoeuvres flown with grace - fine. A full power take-off into a constant angle (pitch and roll) climbing turn by a heavy at lightweight - fine. But a barrel roll too low and too slow in an unforgiving and rare old beast - no thanks.

And sorry, but I'm not particularly fond of coloured smoke displays. Far sooner that particular budget was spent on keeping a historic aircraft or few airborne. 9 Hawks or one each of Harvard, Provost, Meteor, Vampire, Gnat, Hunter.....? I'd prefer the latter. Saw JN at a Swedish air display on Disco Wings the other night -the Swedish AF seems to have preserved every post war Swedish jet in flying condition - J29, Lansen, Draken, Viggen - probably got a Hunter and who knows what else in store somewhere!