PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operating Cost for C150 or PA28?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2018, 21:42
Coda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am almost done on my PPL(A), I'm just waiting for my paperwork to be finished so I can go for my checkride. However, most of my ~75 hours were in a Tecnam P2002JF, the certified version of the P2002 Sierra and I have also flown the C150 and a couple of C152's (one of which was an aerobat) when the Tecnam was in maintenance.

These Rotax powered machines are cheap to run (17-18 l/ph Mogas or Avgas), quite powerful (less than 1.5l engine size for almost the same power output as a ~4 litre lyco). They're cheaper to maintain, and you can have all the glass cockpit stuff if that floats your boat.

I decided I really prefer flying the Tecnam although you can be lazy in the Cessna with rudder coordination if you want. Not so in the Tecnam, it's lighter, slippier, and you have to fly it properly. Also you can buy a non-cert version for half the price of the certified JF, and if the Sierra doesn't quite do it for you, these days there are quite a few types with a similar mission available. When I first went to this school and found they used the Tecnam I was disappointed at first, until I'd also flown the C152 (a "Real Aircraft®" as some have told me) and I realised it wasn't any more of a "Real Aircraft®" than the Tecnam is.

TL;DR - I think LAA is the future, I don't fly in the UK (yet, that's for another thread) but everything I read these days seems to indicate that the CAA is doing everything it can to make life more difficult, complicated, and expensive.