PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird Strikes - What's it like?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2001, 21:45
Canuckbirdstrike

To all:

Bird and mammal strikes are becoming one of the high priority safety issues for the coming year.

I am involved in writing and production of a book for Transport Canada on this issue and my researched have turned up some interesting points.

Current very conservative estimates indicate that wildlife strikes cost the industry in North America in excess of 500 million dollars.

The most interesting point is that the number of bird strikes with waterfowl is increasing dramatically. these birds are in many cases larger than the wieghts that aircraft and engines are certified to withstand. What is also interesting is the number of encounters where more than one engine is being damaged. Increasing dramatically!

As a pilot the best strategy (and the one I follow when flying the A320) is to climb or descend as rapidly as possible at the lowest safe speed through the bird rich altitudes. 99% of bird strikes occur below 10,000 ft. Migratory waterfowl regularly fly between 2,000 and 10,000 agl, the data proves it. Bird populations, in particular high risk species like geese, are increasing at incredible rates. Bird impact force increases as the square of the speed (double the weight four times the force). This might want a number of you to rethink speeding up above 250 kts below 10,000 ft.

There are some really spectacular pictures available. Take the time and have a look.

If you want more information check out the Transport Canada website www.tc.gc.ca.

Watch the birdie.

P.S. True story... Student pilot strikes bird on downwind leg, requests immediate landing. Tower controller asks if he requires emergency services. Student pilot replies, "No it's alright the bird is dead".