PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OPTING OUT OF MEDICAL RECORDS
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2018, 01:31
Seaeagle109

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wasn't it just the other day that the Health Minister and others were assuring us that the system was secure, but there might be holes, well it seems that there are weak points; like the people tasked with keeping the system secure.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/gov...17-p4zs1t.html

Let alone all the other people who'll write down the Emergency Override code so that they don't forget it; anecdotally, people still do this with their banking PIN codes, so why will this code be any different.

My question is, "Why is the government doing this now and why is it opt out?", the system has been up and running for a few years now as an "opt in" service. I would assume people with serious medical conditions are already using the system, so why force the all rest of us to now "opt out".

My own very cynical view is that whoever the public (dis)service mandarin is who's in charge of the department happens to be, would like to be more powerful, as there's not that many people using the service now. So, chew the ear of your minister to make everybody join and hence, you'll need more public servants and more managers to control the system and databases, who'll need more staff to do the work and so on; as a consequence the mandarin in charge gets a bigger department with more power and prestige. The whole thing is just the result of some numpty in Can'tberra wanting to increase their department and bugger the privacy of all Australians if he/she can get more pay and power. I did say it was my very cynical view but hey, it's a possible reason and yes, I did like to watch "Yes Minister" when it was on TV.

Last edited by Seaeagle109; 18th Jul 2018 at 10:40.