PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2018, 16:44
PDXCWL45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAX_LHR
So, an Airline CEO comes out publicly and says a route is underperforming, and the article points out that fares are as much as half it’s UK counterparts which will in turn be affecting yield, all while the route is still being subsidised (so when it does have to stand on it s own 2 feet it will struggle more). And that’s a good thing?! Seriously?

Ill admit that I do often wear my rose tinted spectacles , but this is a whole new level.
He said it's not performing to expectations he didn't say it was under performing and that the cargo side was performing well. It depends what those expectations are and so what if fares are cheaper than at other UK airports? It's the yield that counts. Is the route being subsidised? The Welsh government has a marketing deal with Qatar Airways yes but no one knows what the deal entails so people are just asuming they are subsidising the route because the reality is people especially on this forum don't seem to be supportive of this route because i get the feeling in their view an airport like Cardiff shouldn't have a route like this. It's early days for the route and only time will tell how it gets on and if Cardiff loses the route then i'm sure plenty of people on here will be quite happy about it.