View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2018, 11:34
Slatye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetjr
Advertising says you can say who has acess and to what
SMS when someone does access
How does that work?
You can tell it who to give access to, but it's not a really secure system.

A secure approach would be where the data is encrypted, and you have the only key. If you don't provide the key, nobody can access the data - under any circumstances. The only way to get it without your permission is to break the encryption, which for modern encryption is impractical within your lifetime.

With the approach they have now, all the data can be accessed with a sufficiently good reason, regardless of your access settings. In a medical emergency they'll allow access immediately. Police can also get access; from the ABC:

The ADHA is authorised by law to disclose someone's health information if it "reasonably believes" it's necessary for preventing or investigating crimes and protecting the public revenue, among other things specified under section 70 of the My Health Records Act.

The agency was unable to provide a definition of "protecting the public revenue" by deadline.
Also concerning:
If personal information is disclosed to law enforcement, the decision about whether to notify the My Health Record holder will be decided "case-by-case".
In short, they don't have to tell you that they accessed it.

CASA is not law enforcement, but it wouldn't surprise me if they get access to much the same thing on "public safety" grounds.