PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training session before LPC/OPC?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2018, 08:26
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am soon to do my last ever LPC/OPC. My preparation will consist of swotting up for the multiple guess questions and re-reading the SOP pages of how to handle the most likely failures. The format of the session will be almost certainly be “interesting” weather, possibly in icing conditions and a NOTAM that needs reading. I will take the least amount of fuel I can justify. There will be a minor malfunction during start or taxi. We will take our time and sort it out. It will be fixed the moment you have ticked the correct procedures. On departure we will have an engine failure or fire. We will return, do a single engine non-precision approach, a go-around and then manually flown precision approach or an NPA with vertical guidance. Then there will be a low viz bit. Randomly thrown in that lot will be a TCAS event, a fire, an airborne malfunction, a rejected take-off and possibly an evacuation. More or less it’s been like this for the last 20 years or so.

There shoud be no need to practice, good enough is good enough. It’s nice to “ace” events like this but there is no real need. So take your time and keep your aircraft in the middle of the sky, keep it trimmed (especially in yaw) and keep trying to hit the numbers.

PM