PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rossair accident in 2017 - training and checking assessment
Old 17th Jul 2018, 06:16
georgeeipi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centaurus
While not the perfect solution, there is probably a flight safety case for using a KingAir or Metro simulator both of which which are already available in Australia if the prime purpose is to assess the applicants competency at conducting a simulated engine failure on take off.

The physical handling characteristics such as identification, foot-load, V-speeds and instrument indications would be similar even though switch positions may be different. Pulling back a throttle to simulate an engine failure after lift off in any turbo prop twin is fraught with danger as the statistics have shown already.
According to "Prescription of aircraft and rating -- CASR Part 61 (Edition 5) Instrument 2018." Schedule 10 says that if you did the proficiency check in a King Air or Metro (and simulator) the licence entry is MEA.
However, in Schedule 13, we find that A C441 requires training in a C441 Aeroplane (or Simulator) to be declared proficient in a C441.

So my understanding of this legal quagmire is even if you used the King Air or Metro simulator in Melbourne and had MEA proficiency stamped in your licence, you would still have to go out and risk your life and the examiners life in a C441 to be declared proficient. (Of course I could be wrong because I haven't read every single clause of the CASR to see if there is something that overrides the bits that I have read)