PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2018, 15:54
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Bruno ever brings out a G4 it will likely also kill a large chunk of his own G2 market.
It will be THE go to ship for private purchase.
It would definitely be THE machine for private ownership, forgiving both aeronautically and financially (with its on-condition life). However, the price needs to remain realistic, all aircraft are market-stiflingly expensive at the moment and if the G4 found its way to market in the £400-£500K bracket (Lycoming Powered) then it would still be beyond the means of most of those that fly helicopters recreationally (or want to).

When I spoke to Bruno, he was unsure about what engine to use, particularly given the development timescales and changing times we live in with regards to electrification etc. For what it's worth, my take is that for machines of this size, for a predominantly private market, diesels are too heavy and expensive, turbines are too expensive, Electrification is a long way off for helicopters, Lycomings will do the job - albeit imperfectly. Of the Lycoming range the IO-580-B1A is the best bet for a 4-seater, particularly if you add electronic ignition and perhaps GAMI injectors.

My take on the G4 spec would be:

MTOW: 1,250kg
Empty: 750kg
Payload: 500kg (140kg fuel, 360kg PAX)

Engine: Lycoming IO-580-B1A, 315hp de-rated to 275hp for 5-mins and 240hp Continuous.

Cruise Speed: 120kts
Vertical Climb @ MGW: >400fpm
Max Climb @ MGW/60kts: >1,500fpm

The fuel payload assumes you can keep the fuel consumption down with EFI and Gami injectors and appropriate mixture control, without it you end up with 19.3 US Gal/hr rather than 17.2 so you don't quite get the 3hrs.

All the above is a natural growth path from the G2 and would eat the R44 for breakfast, as long as it doesn't cost as much as Scottish Castle! Any private owner facing a re-build of an R44 would have to take such a machine seriously, just on the basis of controlled depreciation and improved performance, safety and appearance.

I don't think the G4 would impact the G2 market significantly as my understanding is most G2's are working machines rather than private machines.

There we go, gauntlet laid...come on Bruno (pleaseeeeeeee).

Step 1: Design the above
Step 2: Open Factory in Eastern Europe
Step 3: Announce £375K Base price
Step 4: Sell 300 units per year.

(All in jest, obviously).

CRAN

Last edited by CRAN; 18th Jul 2018 at 08:46. Reason: Added Power Curve