PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC135 hard landing Chicago Area July 7
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2018, 14:10
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
But....if it cannot contain the departing bits and a fire occurs.....then it would seem there is a design/certification issue that needs to be considered.
well SASless,
in every design consideration is incorporated the likelihood of a specific failure.
Thats why you can buy some things as an optional, I.e. a Second fire extinguishing bottle....
Failing power turbines are extremely rare by now, where computers do the startsequence, making hot starts nearly impossible and engine monitoring with power checks, every 25 hrs or so, give an insight in the health of an engine and it is changed/repaired, well before it normally starts to fail.
Adding Nomex, heatshielded, with extra weight and maintenance needed, for an event, which is very very rare - and even, when it happens, not always kills the other engine is like putting a rocket deployed parachute on an helicopter for the rare occurence of departing rotorheads.
And I have read about more accidents with departing rotors (old Bells, I might recall Robbie break ups and the one accident in Norway....)