PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - molded ear plugs
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2018, 08:51
Tea time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxiao
Tinnitus is supposedly a brain problem not a hearing problem , 1 in 5 adults suffer from some form of tinnitus during their lifetime , I believe that deaf people can also suffer from tinnitus , yet some people who have severely impaired hearing never develop tinnitus . There is a feedback mechanism in the brain , much like the squelch control on a radio . When it goes wrong the brain can’t turn down the squelch and tinnitus is the result . However doctors are seeing more and more younger people with tinnitus due to exposure to loud rock concerts , discos and unfettered use of in ear IPods
. Loud noises actually destroy the fragile hairs in the inner ear used for hearing, resulting in impaired hearing but not necessarily tinnitus , once these hairs are broken they do not recover ever , some animals are able to regrow these cillae but sadly not humans . They are having some success with injecting stem cells into the inner ear to promote regrowth but it won’t stop tinnitus which as I said earlier is a brain issue .
I’m sorry that you are suffering from tinnitus and I implore all pilots to look after their hearing because once it’s gone there is no way back.
it would be interesting to conduct a survey of airline pilots old and new suffering from tinnitus and see if there is a greater incidence amongst crew than the general population .
I took a reading on the flight deck recently 103-108db for 10 plus hours on a flight with higher peaks during radio calls . Not good for your ears