PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA is doomed – Minister believes safety is more important than cost
Old 16th Jul 2018, 00:14
Dick Smith

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts
GA is doomed – Minister believes safety is more important than cost

Clearly general aviation is doomed because Minister McCormack still believes safety is more important than cost. He made it clear in Wagga at the summit that he has the same views as previous Minister John Anderson which caused the problems in the first place.

At the summit, the Minister said as follows:

“I have had the opportunity to meet with the Shadow Minister and agreed that we are both committed to adopt a bipartisan approach to aviation safety.

Aviation safety is above politics.

We are both committed to aviation safety being the most important consideration in safety regulation …”
From this statement it is clear that our Deputy Prime Minister has completely ignored the facts that I brought forward in my Wagga address (See here).

Once again I say to everyone get out of aviation as quick as you can. If you stay in you will lose more. I see at least another five years of destruction before our politicians will realise that you actually need to tell the truth and that aviation is like everything else in life. That is, nothing is perfectly safe and you have to recognise that by misallocating safety resources you can run an industry out of business.

Remember, CASA completed a flawed cost-benefit study on ADS-B and Australia introduced the mandate for ADS-B equipment for IFR aircraft three years earlier than the USA. What is the use of the mandate if we mainly have uncontrolled airspace at low levels where the ADS-B is not used for separation purposes?