PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2018, 22:53
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
I’m not sure about other industries but maybe that’s a good point?
Personally I don’t care about prestige but I do care about pride. The pride I hold is affected by the modern methods of rostering because I am no longer as good as I can be. What I mean by that is that I used to be able to fly a roster AND keep across all changes to SOP’s, changes to law, revisit and refresh my systems knowledge, checklist procedures, investigate recurrent Notams in detail, and generally feel like I was on top of my game. Now, in 2018, by the time I have landed, driven home, said hello to my family and caught some sleep it is time to go again, often without ever making up the sleep I lost from the shift I have just finished. There is no time available to take myself from being ‘generally competent’ to being a proud professional. I have noticed that the folk who stand out as being completely on top of all the changes and updates either don’t have a family at home ( single or partner with no children) , or they prioritise work over family with the inevitable results.
The career could be completely changed for the better for only moderate cost if the airlines looked seriously at providing pilots with meaningful input to their rosters. Eg, busy phase of life with young kids at home? Choose a 75% roster and accept the 25% pay cut. Young and newly married wanting to buy a house? Choose an ‘unrestricted full roster’.Three years from retirement and financially sorted but still enjoy the flying? Choose a 50/50 roster and take the 50% pay cut. Night owl? Choose a preference for lates. Early bird? Choose a preference for earlies. Enjoy seeing different cities? Choose a preference for night stops.
it can be done for only a small outlay. It just takes the will.