PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2018, 22:04
carlmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the Met Police Air Support Unit & Bell 222

This brings back memories!
My dad - PC Mick Tunnicliffe - was an Observer with the MPASU at this time......and long before......and flew with the 222. Their base was at Lippits Hill in Essex. In fact, he was one of the pioneers of Met Police helicopter use having started the Unit, with others who held PPL's, using hired Air Gregory helicopters out of Denham back in the late 60's/very early 70's. It was a requirement at the time for all observers to hold at least a PPL and the pilots of the helicopters were ex Forces (not regular Police Officers). Because the Observers held PPL's it was the view of the Pilots to train the observers on basic helicopter handing in case of emergencies and all the Observers at the time could fly and land the aircraft if needed.

Re the accident at Hatfield, dad was on duty that day but was not on board. Not that my mother knew that though!!! Panic ensued at our house when she saw on the TV news that the Police helicopter had crashed. We didnt have a phone at the time and no-one contacted her to tell her that dad was safe. She was in a right state until he walked through the door that evening - boy did he get an earful!!!!!!!

I still have a 'crew mug' with my name on it at my parents house. It showed the Bell 222 with my name on it on one side and on the other was the Unit crest with the motto "Above All We Serve". I doubt that it is the same motto today.

Dad retired some 20 years ago now, but he is still pottering about.
Cheers
Carl