PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2018, 11:32
framer

Received 482 Likes on 130 Posts
Personally I think the issues around the lack of rostering/lifestyle flexibility is going to really blow up airlines in the future as the younger generation are just not going to put up with it. People that essentially work Mon-Fri Office hours are complaining about work flexibility now, let alone with permanently shifting rosters, weekends, public holidays, Xmas etc. It is no wonder that the younger generation are walking away.
Agree. Even at the higher/highest levels of the industry the lifestyle is not what it was 10-15 years ago. There has been no progress around rosters that leave people spent. In fact, my experience is that it has got more tiring with the recent introduction of popular rostering software. There is very little flexibility around roster options, it’s a one size fits all scenario most of the time when the reality is that one size doesn’t fit all. The result? The job is less attractive than it used to be right at the time when retirements are ramping up. Many forty-something Captains that I know are not planning on remaining in the industry longer than is absolutely necessary, ie they are Engineering an early retirement or change of career.
Having meaningful input to building their own roster would completely reverse that attitude.