PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain 50th Flypast 1990
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2018, 00:56
TealRidge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle of Britain 50th Flypast 1990

The 100th Flypast - marvellous to watch, and so well executed - put me in mind of the 50th Commemoration of the Battle of Britain, when 168 aircraft flew over London and Buckingham Palace. The event was made into a programme [narrated by Raymond Baxter] and broadcast the very next day, with interviews with some of those remaining Spitfire and Hurricane pilots from September 1940. At the time, I was on 234 Sqn [No. 1 Tactical Weapons Unit, RAF Brawdy] - and we formed part of the sixteen ship Hawk formation. The BBC were doing filming on the airfield at RAF Waddington, to which we had been deployed, and I suggested to their cameraman that I could get some air-to-air video clips during the practices .... and it happened!
Afterwards the BBC very kindly sent me a complimentary VHS copy of the programme. I have just split the programme into four sections and uploaded them onto YouTube for anyone to watch.
The YouTube titles, in chronological order:-
Battle of Britain 50th Flypast, Part 1 of 4
Battle of Britain 50th Flypast, Part 2 of 4
Battle of Britain 50th Flypast, Part 3 of 4
Battle of Britain 50th Flypast, Part 4 of 4
Hope you enjoy watching. Brought back many happy memories for me - 234 Squadron was a wonderful group of people!
** Sorry - discovered that I am not allowed to put up URL links! **