PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 14th Jul 2018, 14:48
APU_inop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How successful do you normally be which getting what you bid for? I'd be quite happy doing two sector late layovers all the time.
Depends on the fleet and the crewing factor. Last year we had plenty of pilots on my fleet and we got almost all we bid for. Now there are less and therefor lower satisfaction rates, however the company is recruiting accordingly. It is very cyclic, don't expect to get all your bids all the time.

Can't find any pilots but I've seen a few CC rosters on the internet. Very random really, 6 days on 2 off, 3 on 2 off etc.. Is it the same for us? I remember reading something somewhere about how 4do in a row is a minimum.
Their rosters are quite different since they can operate several different types of flights. No fixed pattern, it's all cyclic and calculated by a computer.

Thanks. Do you know the name of the document on the QCAA website where they'll be listed?
No idea where to find it. I only refer to our part-A but it cannot be shared. The FTL's are a lighter version of the old JAR ones.

On a similar note. I presume you have to convert your license and medical to a QCAA one. Do you just see a Doha based AME for your renewals? Same as EASA? Most importantly - have any guys had problems if they go back to Europe having not exercised the privileges of their EASA quals for years?
Maintaining your EASA papers is up to you. You have to arrange parallel PC's, medicals etc. Company does not endorse it in any way.
You fly with a QCAA license, the conversion is taken care of for you by the guys in the office. You only do an initial medical in Qatar, which is straight forward really.

Underground car park for staff? If you're on a layover is it quite normal for crew to bring big suitcases with them?
Not underground. Don't bid for afternoon landings in Doha during the summer. If you do, stay off the curry and buy quality deodorants.

Great. When is the publication date compared to the first day of the roster?
At least a week before as per the rules (I think), however it's usually published earlier.

That's quite interesting leaving FDs on if you're doing a visual!

On the A320 series, when the autopilot is disconnected in OP DES mode, the FD remains engaged in thrust mode, commanding IDLE thrust, and provides pitch commands for the PF to maintain the target speed. Thrust will not increase when the pitch commands are not followed and there is a decay in speed, until low speed protection ALPHA FLOOR activates. To revert to SPEED mode and resume variable thrust, the flight director must be switched off.
I fly Boeings, this French equipment sounds like complicated stuff. I envy your table though.