PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Have Access to A Twin Otter? DHC-6 Twin Otter Panel Dimensions -
Old 14th Jul 2018, 11:59
MaxArk68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Have Access to A Twin Otter? DHC-6 Twin Otter Panel Dimensions -

This is my first post here, and I hope I can turn to familiar and experienced pilots to help put an end to a very time consuming quest for accurate information.
First off, I'm not a pilot. Always wish I could have, or would have, but the reality is I'm not. My world of flying exists behind a computer and a series of monitors and plastic controllers. I'm a "wannabe". My aircraft of choice, the one I keep my eyes peeled for during plane spotting, the one I fly on my desktop simulator is the DeHavilland DHC-6 300. The Twin Otter.

To enhance my experience in simulated flight of the Twin Otter, I am embarking on a project to recreate the cockpit as accurately as possible in my home. Not a simple endeavour, certainly not a quick nor inexpensive challenge, but one that with patience and skill I hope to be very rewarding in the end. The Twin Otter, from my research is one aircraft that very few have pursued to recreate for a simulator based project, so information is scarce. Before I can begin construction of the cockpit, it is critical that I find as accurate and detailed information with respect to flight instrument panel dimensions that I can find. This has been an incredible challenge with having to rely solely on online resources. Other than a few cockpit pictures of the Twin Otter, although a good resource for the layout of flight instruments and controls, there are no specifics as to panel or surface measurements. Without actual measurements, even clear head-on, limited distortion pictures with the measurement of one key reference would help me simply extrapolate the measurements by defining a scale.

So this has brought me here as a last resort as flight sim and home cockpit building forums have fallen short of the information I need to proceed. I'm hoping to get the attention of anyone ... pilot, hobbiest, mechanic, maintenance person ... who has acceess to, or strong familiarity with the DHC-6 300 Series aircraft or other resources that would be so kind to help me find the specific measurments I need. I realize this is an incredible favour to ask, for which in return I will extend the most sincere appreciation and respect.