PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why all the hate for Part 61?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2018, 09:34
georgeeipi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone out there know where in the CASR is there a statement of how much of an IFR proficiency check or a PIFR review can be done in a Synthetic Trainer and which levels are required?
Once upon a time it was pretty simple, we used to fly one approach in the air (usually an NDB) with a simulated engine failure if it was MEA, and one in an Cat B Synthetic trainer and we were done. But now I can't find a clear statement of if this is still sufficient.
Part 61.M (Instrument Rating) mentions "approved flight simulation training device" throughout for the proficiency check.
The definitions of Part 61 say "approved flight simulation training device: a flight simulation training device. is an approved flight simulation training device for purpose if: (a)a Part 141 operator's exposition states that the device may be used for the purpose; etc.
The definition for a flight simulation training device says: "flight simulation training device means: a) a qualified flight simulator; or b) qualified training device; c) a synthetic trainer approved under CAO 45..."

In essence then an approved flight simulation training device can be any level of synthetic trainer (it seems).

Whereas Part 61.N for the Private Instrument Rating the requirements for the flight review state "an approved flight simulator". Which clearly means you can only use a simulator, not the lower CAT B type class. But that seems to imply there is no place for a lower level of flight training device for a private instrument rating.

Sorry, but WTF?

I have been wading through Part 60 and the Part 60 MOS, and Part 61 and the Part 61 MOS, CAO 45 (nothing really there) and I am none the wiser. If anyone can shed some light on this mystery I would be most grateful.