PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is A Part 60 Level D Simulator for an Aircraft Class possible?
Old 14th Jul 2018, 02:28
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Georgie,
The ICAO has seven levels, you will be looking at Level 5.
The real problem is how enlightened (or otherwise) certification authorities are or are not ----- those who actually understand the values and limitations of simulation are very thin on the on the ground.
In Australia, at GA Level, I have seen some astoundingly good results produced by people who know what they are doing, I have also seen "CASA approved" simulators where misleading is the dominant result, "simulators" that are barely fit to be approved as system trainers being "approved" at virtually Level D.
Unfortunately, in Australia "training" has become type specific to the degree that self-confessed "experts" would have you "trained" on a Falcon if you had only drive a Holden.
That is, treating every light aircraft as if it had to be flown differently.
I come from a category where you teach people to fly "aircraft".
Believe it of not, there are parts of the world where there is no such thing as "design feature" ratings, or whatever we call then now, just "aeroplanes", some of which may have variable pitch props, the "third wheel" at different ends, etc., that you deal with as required --- with no formal requirement for "instruction" or "training" ---- and guess what, at least one of them has a far better safety outcomes record than Australia.
Tootle pip!!