PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Windward Turn Theory
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2018, 22:15
911slf

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am a bit cautious of entering such august company, being only a former hang glider pilot. But two things:

1 In a constantly moving air mass my experience was that a turn in any direction felt pretty much the same regardless of windspeed. But a top of the hill landing in a 20kt wind meant a scary downwind 40kt over the ground at 200 feet - knowing I had to land on my feet. But when I turned into wind and landed my groundspeed would be zero and would feel like stepping off a curb. The feeling of acceleration was however just the same as in a nil wind landing.

2 When you are within ten or twenty feet of the ground the wind tends to reduce sharply as you descend. Birds can do clever things utilising the wind gradient. Hang glider pilots not so much. Get down to 20 feet with a tail wind and it is impossible to turn. Bank (say) left, and the left wing being close to the ground is seeing less of a tailwind relative to the right wing - which translates to more of a headwind when you factor in the movement of the glider. It experiences more lift than the right wing, you can't sustain the bank and are committed to landing downwind. If it is on heather you may well not be hurt, but if there is a Derbyshire stone wall in front of you then...