PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching cockpit management
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2018, 13:33
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Teaching cockpit management

I'm an EASA CRI, so all of my instructing is of existing qualified pilots. Some of them are current for e.g. a biennial or some differences training, a large proportion are lapsed coming back after a break. What a great many of them have in common is shockingly bad cockpit management. Bits of paper of various sizes all over the place, a chart stuffed wherever it'll fit occasionally folded to the right area, pens poorly secured, kneeboards that might not fit the cockpit they're trying to fly (A4 kneeboard with a stick anybody?). Not all, but a large proportion.

To add to the fun, an increasing number of people use electronic devices in the cockpit, which I think it would be very wrong for me to prohibit, since they'll certainly pull them out and start using them as soon as I'm not around - so it should be included in their flying.

My take on it is this...

- If they're already using their own system for cockpit management, which keeps the area reasonably FOD free, they can always go to what they need, it provides a clear trail of information for the whole flight, and they integrate it all together with a good lookout and management of the aeroplane: brilliant, let them carry on, perhaps make the odd suggestion of improvements.

- If they're a complete cockpit disaster (which is probably a third of the people I fly with) initially impose my personal system, which is fairly straightforward of the major bits of paper (PLOG, checklist, airfield diagram, approach plates, notes, etc.) secured together with a treasury tag in the corner on a single kneeboard that fits the cockpit, pens in a good clip in the kneeboard - any electronic device using information co-ordinated with that, and so-on and so-forth: probably very similar to what most of you use. Give them carte blanche to vary from it SO LONG AS THEY CAN DEMONSTRATE THEIR SYSTEM CONTINUES TO KEEP A CLEAN AND CONTROLLED COCKPIT (and of course means they always have whatever they need immediately to hand).

My experience is a bit variable with this - a lot of pilots, particularly mid-hr PPLs can be very resistant to attempts to get them to maintain some good cockpit management principles, which frustrates both me and them.

Can I ask the old and bold - what's your approach to teaching, or improving cockpit management? It seems, to me, to be a topic very little talked or written about.

G