PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - degree in ac maintenance engineering
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2003, 00:26
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been away for a few days and was disappointed to see that this thread has been reduced to a level reminiscent of previous discussions on the subject of degree/licence and engineer/technician.
There is more than a slight suspicion that a bit of 'baiting' is being introduced by those who should know better.
It was interesting to see that a mention has been made of our friends across the Channel and how they have operated without Licences. We may be under JAR, but how various countries set the requirements for the issuance of a JAR 66 Licence is a slightly more interesting and relevant subject than a limited number of people on this forum who have a relentless intent on seeing how far they can go to 'wind' each other up.
The use of the words 'vocational qualification' for an Aircraft Engineers Licence are of course true (and in the case of this thread intimidatory) as the qualification is only good for working on aircraft. However, a number of Licenced Engineers that I know have moved on to work in the Oil Industry, F1 Racing Teams, OEM's, Insurance Companies, Marine Engineering, Senior Management/Directorship, Commercial Pilot etc, etc. For them the Aircraft Engineers Licence has been the catalyst to them progressing in their careers. They have shown that they have achieved a high standard in their field, are capable of retaining and using the knowledge they have learnt, are analytical and are lateral thinkers. This may seem familiar to those degree holders amongst us as this is exactly what a degree does as well. And before the degree holders amongst you start, how many people do you know who did a degree in one field and actually started off in their working career in another field. I know quite a few.
'I only work in and don't fly in it' was an accutely offensive remark made by another person in this thread to gain the optimum intimidatory impact. I am amazed that someone is trying to create the impression that there are a significant number of Aircraft Maintenence Engineers who have that mind set. There is no doubt that there are some, but by far the vast majority would be deeply offended by such remarks. Many staff who work in the Department I manage spend hundreds of hours in the air each year working with the aircraft on Long Haul/ETOPS support. They fly on the aircraft that they also maintain and certify.
Can we please stop this infighting. It serves no purpose. Those seeking to 'wind' up a number of people on this thread have succeeded, again! I do trust that you feel suitably proud of yourselves.

Regards

Tempsford