PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US CFI Shortage ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 18:27
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Just a passing thought: Once they go in force, I wonder what effect, if any, the new SIC regs for Part 135 will have on the number of people opting for the CFI route as a time-building means between fresh CPL and 1,500 hours. Not everyone really wants to be a CFI.

Perhaps those aligning themselves with a defined CPL-CFI-regional pipeline will still go that route. But all those not so affiliated ?
That occurred to me as well. Who knows, it could even become "a thing" to work both tracks on the way to meeting ATP mins. Someone with both structured instructional experience and structured/mentored operational revenue flying experience in a multi-crew environment would seem pretty well rounded at an interview. Talking to some of the new CFIs at our place, I get the impression that many of them would, given the choice, prefer to avoid committing themselves to any particular regional airline if they can manage it. Several I've spoken with seem inclined towards keeping their options open in anticipation of a continued "pilot's market" condition. Can't blame 'em for that, but it's aviation and you're taking a risk whatever you do!

When asked, I suggest that a mixture of single pilot flying, dual instruction given and turbine SIC might be a good approach to getting the hours while making them count! It will be interesting to see how this plays out.