PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 10th Jul 2018, 17:07
[email protected]

Received 629 Likes on 272 Posts
I think you’ve had a bit too much sauce - you normally have a strong and arguable point. The logic that it MAY have been conducted by an experienced pilot and MAY not have over stressed any parts because he may have been trained by the military, and therefore is ok is BS. And I think you know it. We have to operate to the lowest common denominator here, boring as it is, and if they certify it for aero-manoeuvres it would have to be able to wothstand badly handled ones.
No, just trying to provide a counterpoint to the idea that a wingover is any different from a steep turn, or a crop-spraying return to target or some of the manoeuvres mustering pilots do in far less capable aircraft. A helo manufacturer is never going to jump through the hoops for an aerobatic certification since the target market would be tiny and not worth the cost. It's also much easier to over-engineer a fixed wing for aeros since it is just the structure and not all the rotables that suffer.

I have repeated that I do not condone his actions in this case and I get the whole 'keep inside the RFM limits piece' (it's not rocket science) but too many on here want to hang, draw and quarter the pilot in the video based on one clip and no knowledge of him, the aircraft configuration, the actual G or AoB he reached or, frankly any quantitative information.