PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2003, 23:24
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C182 Drover

snarek is doing just fine thank you.

And how, pray tell, are we to demonstrate our commitment to aviation to your satisfaction?

ferris and plazbot

Eeerm we are not into playing games and we are certainly not country boys.
Neither are we into slagging off other professionals or making loud noises to frighten the horses and scare little children and old ladies half to death.

May I confuse the issue with some facts to add to the fantasies peddled around here.

NAS 2b implementation as I understand it from them.

The Changes.

Class A
The new National Airspace system will result in MORE Class A airspace, recognizing a need to build capacity to handle increased high altitude traffic while maintaining high levels of safety

The Base of Class A will move down from FL285 to FL180 in radar coverage and down from FL285 to FL245 outside radar coverage.
The upper limit of Class A will rise to FL 600 ( to catch the Citation X ) within the existing lateral boundaries of Class A in the Australian FIR.

Between ML-LT-HB Class A airspace will be established above FL180. Existing Class G airspace south of 45 degrees latitude will remain.

Class B

No Class B will be introduced at this stage of the reform process. Class B is used in airports with very high traffic levels like LAX.
The reform process is examining whether some Class C airports could be reclassified Class B in the future.

Class C

Enroute Class C will generally change to enroute Class E, providing separation services for IFR flights, but allowing improved access for VFR flights, which must carry a transponder in Class E.
Oceanic Class C will be replaced by Class A.

Between ML-LT-HB Class E will replace the enroute Class C between FL 145 and FL180. Class C airspace below FL145 between ML-LT-HB will be replaced by Class G airspace.

In radar environments, Class E airspace will replace the existing Class C steps between 40-90nm above 8500ft with an upper limit of FL180.

Class C airspace outside a 90 nm radius of Perth, Alice Springs, Adelaide and Darwin will be replaced by Class A airspace above FL245 and by enroute Class E between FL180 and FL245.

Class E steps will replace existing Class C steps above Class D Towers airspace.

Class D

Existing Class D control, area dimensions will generally remain unchanged. Class C steps above Class D airspace will be replaced by Class E airspace.
Class E

Over 400,000 additional square kilometers of Class E will replace Class G providing separation services for IFR flights where none existed before.

Enroute Class C airspace below FL200 along the eastern seaboard of the “J curve” will be replaced by Class E above 8500ft with an upper limit of FL180.

Class E will be established outside the existing enroute radar Class C lateral boundaries within continental Australia above FL180 with an upper limit of FL245. The exception will be between ML-LT-HB where Class E will be established above FL145 with a limit of FL180 within the existing Class C lateral boundaries.

Class E airspace in radar environments will replace existing Class C steps between 40-90nm above 8,500ft with an upper limit of FL180. Class C airspace outside a 90 nm radius of Perth, Alice Springs, Adelaide and Darwin will be replaced by Class A airspace above FL245 and by enroute Class E between FL180 and FL245.

Existing Class E corridors will be removed.

Class F

Class F airspace is not used in the United Sates, so Class F will not be introduced.

Class G

Large areas of Class G airspace will be replaced by Class E airspace .Directed traffic information will remain in Class G.

Between ML-LT-HB Class G will replace existing Class C airspace within the existing Class C lateral boundaries between FL125 and FL145.

Class G corridors will replace Class E corridors below FL180.

If I have missed something or screwed it up I'm sure someone will correct me, but it looks pretty fine to me.