PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 06:49
mart901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Husky One
The £1 thing isn’t about the cost, it’s about the impression it sets of being ‘nickel and dimed’ in much the same manner as the loco’s have done in the past with hidden charges. It doesn’t happen at better airports and the fact that both of ours do it paints a poor picture. Aviation is an expensive business. If your business model is so frail it hinges on the application of stealth charges then you’re in the wrong game. If there are routes that hinge on a few pennies per pax offered up by parking surcharges then you have to ask should those routes be there in the first place.
i use the drop off and I don’t lose sleep about it but every time I go through it leaves me with the impression of ‘mickey mouse operation’. Clearly the dozens of cars lining the airport road hold similar views and given the fickle world we live in you have to ask does this have any effect on the numbers heading to DUB. On its own, it probably doesn’t but in combination with the recent bad security PR, comparatively poor infrastructure and over emphasis on loco’s you have to wonder. With pax numbers higher than ever, it’s time BIAL upped their game.
All that said the £1 argument gets blown out of the water the minute you buy a pint or a coffee in DUB. And yes there is and possibly always will be large numbers of people heading from NI to there because of routes and price but it works both ways, just look at the car park of either Belfast Airport to see that, and BFS has grown fantastically numbers wise of recent times so its definitely not all doom and gloom.
I do agree with the posts about the need for refurbishment of particularly outside, it does kind of look like something from the soviet block.