PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why all the hate for Part 61?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 03:22
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Okihara,
Do you actually have any point of comparison, say experience of the equivalent in other countries.
A good proportion of the replies to your original post are people who do have such experience (I have licenses from UK,US,NZ and PNG) so we all know what an over the top destructive and costly nightmare Part 61/141/142 actually is, for absolutely no benefit, safety or otherwise, let alone risk based benefit/cost justified benefit.
Tootle pip!!
Unfortunately my only experience with GA has been in Australia so I cannot relate much, at least not yet. Though I must confess that I was flabbergasted when I received my A4 licence in the mail a while ago. I was almost tempted to ask CASA when they'd send the real/final one as I thought this piece of paper was just temporary.

I think it's now an established fact that aviation has a much better safety track record than, eg. car traffic. Unfortunately, I really wonder if aviation lawmakers and government bodies have a firm grasp of the concept of causality when it comes to safety. I'm from Norway where everything is ultra transparent and audited. A situation such as Aussie GA where a grumpy community seems to have been a constant for decades is unheard of. I wish there were a stronger feedback loop that'd serve as leverage on CASA. For starters, there should be accountability and possibly real consequences for their slow and opaque processing of just about any administrative matter.