PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2018, 23:44
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Potsie Weber
Oh for F's sake, spare me the altruistic warped history!

Plenty of pilots on the 737 had seniority in excess of many 767 pilots for A330 slots/bases and had done so for eon's longer. So you think you should have been "extra specially" bumped up the seniority list to your favored rank/base just to save the company a few bucks? FFS! The fact is, the vast majority, if not all, of 767 pilots that were demoted, was via their own volition. They would not accept the same rank on 737 or worst case, a change in base and the 737. As I recall, there was one annual bid allocation after the 767 retirement was announced, where all but the very most junior, if not all, 767 pilots would have been able to keep their rank, albeit not base. Bit a few on the arse as it came to play! but as Anand Sheela would say, Tough Titties!
No warped history, aside from what you’re spruiking.

As has has already been pointed out to you, a large percentage of us didn’t have the option of keeping our rank. I didn’t have seniority for a 737 slot at the time. How things change.

There is facility within the agreement for pilots subject to a RIN to be placed wherever the company decides they need them, regardless of seniority. This has been used many times in the past with RINs I’ve personally been involved with on the 743 and 767. Named in the RIN but outbid for the assigned position by a 743/767 pilot senior to me. The clause is there for exactly the reason we’re seeing now. To minimise training load. The other reality is that, during a RIN if you bid for a slot you’re locked into a training freeze for however long that might be. Effectively stopping you from bidding for any slot, in seniority, that may pop up over the next few years. If you’re pushed somewhere, rather than bid, then you’re free to leave. Many 767 guys actually didn’t finish their 380 demotion course only to find themselves starting 330 course in their rightful rank within seniority. Such was the stupidity of what happened. If I had bid for a 737 slot, if I had the seniority for it, which I hadn’t, I would still be stuck there today under a training freeze, not sitting in a 787, bid for and awarded on seniority.

I don't deny I would have personally benefited from this process, but as you so eloquently put it, “tough titties” to those that would have been trumped.

Sometimes you win in a RIN, sometimes you lose. Putting 767 pilots on the 330 in rank was what was planned. Scuttled at the eleventh hour by the nudist. Another HR spanker who thought he knew better. To do so would have benefited 767 pilots, the company and current 330 pilots that have suffered too few numbers for years. Max divisors, no leave and riot clauses have been their reality for years. Just ask them. The alternative is the training black hole we’re now witnessing. Chickens, roost.