PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - degree in ac maintenance engineering
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2003, 22:06
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Mono,
Thank you for a balanced reply. I am aware of the salary scales, but am also aware that much is dependent on the Operator, the extent and discipline of the type cover held, the location and the length of service as well as the work area ie Line or Base. I am sure you will agree these variables can, and do, make a signiificant difference. As you say though, some people are getting a little angry about this thread. Which would only confirm some of the views expressed here.

Asheng. Thank you for your polemic. Please take some time to read the messages carefully. At no point do I denigrate the Licence, I simply quantify the status. I, and others, have also indicated to those seeking information that a Degree plus a Licence ( in that order ) offers a better career path and options. Being a Torygraph reader however, one could never accuse you of bias or supporting constructive debate now could one? Yes, I would like to fly in a certified Aircraft---isn't that a legal requirement after all ?. However, for your information, I have a life long habit of flying in any aircraft I have maintained ranging from FJ's, Helo's, Gliders, Light A/C and Commercial types. To me this is non negotiable and I will fly in virtually anything given the opportunity. However, I have lost count of the number of "Engineers" who utter the mantra, " I only fix it, I don't fly in it". I am sure you do show ab-initio graduates around the types you maintain and with the best will in the world. However, I have also witnessed numerous LAE's who try to impress with their type knowledge, are openly hostile to those under their care and also ensure that any repetitive task is allocated to these people. The interpersonal and communication skills being more relevant to a Schoolyard at times. Yes, a live aircraft can be daunting and even more so when it has a live seat and some interesting munitions. As for arrogance, far from it. All I have done is offer an opinion which many may share and which you have duly exemplified. Please check your PM's. I have to say that I am rather amazed at the ferocity of some of the responses, but not overly concerned either.