PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gravity - Has anyone figured it out...?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2001, 06:27
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact that the earth spins and exerts a gravitional influence have nothing to do with each other.
Even if it wasn't spinning the gravitational force would remain the same.
Gravity as far as I can recall just "is" a property of matter. ie all matter posseses it but its influence is relative to the mass on an inverse square law relative to the distance between them. The closer they are to each others centre of mass, the stronger the influence.
If there is a simple explanation it can be found in books such as Hawkings "Brief History of Time" which goes a way to explaining the various "weak" and "strong" forces in nature. If I recall correctly gravity is a relatively "weak" force. Our personal mass relevant to the mass of the earth for example is what stops us floating away. The further we get away from earth as a massive mass the less influence it has and the more our mutual personal gravitational forces would come into effect. Hence the desire to take our amour to the moon.
The whole universe is a matrix of interacting gravitational forces.
Exactly what it "is" as far as I can find out is still one of the "mysteries".
As soon as they find out we had better be ready for retraining soonest.
Thus the observation that one "has a magnetic personality" may or may not be a confusion of the physical laws of electromagnetism and gravity.
They are all interelated and we are still searching for the Universal Law that connnects them all.
A fascinating and rewarding subject that when it gets down to the quantum level like Alice says "gets curiouser and curiouser" the more we learn and find out.

Slasher where are you?