PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Casa and Commonwealth power to legislate
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2018, 09:31
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casa and Commonwealth power to legislate

Originally Posted by LeadSled
Sunfish,:

"CASA has no power to control airshows, to the degree that any legislation administered by CASA that seeks to control airshows is unconstitutional".

Quite simply (nothing to do with Constitutional interpretation is ever simple) and unlike many/most other countries, the Commonwealth of Australia has, in fact, very limited powers over aviation.

In a nutshell, aviation is "state's rights", not the Commonwealth Government.

The Commonwealth power, such as it is, depends on the treaty making powers of the Commonwealth under the constitution, if it isn't in an aviation treaty (Chicago et al) CASA (the Commonwealth) has no power.

Show me the "airshow/fly-in" provisions of any aviation treaty.

Let's see what this brings out of the woodwork??
i tend to agree that CASA oversteps the quite limited jurisdiction to legislate covered by the Commonwealth’s External Affairs powers under the Commonwealth Constitution and also the head of power granted by the Parliament in the Act.

i have complained to the Australian Information Commissioner about a significant breach of my privacy effected by the publication of my personal details to the whole world in the guise of its register of aircraft owners which is published on the www.. I have no problem with a register. I have no problem with the information contained therein being available to other Government bodies potentially having need for it.

But I object strenuously to every Tom, Dick and Harriet being able to see that I own an aircraft and my address while they research their next home invasion. There is absolutely no safety case to justify telling the world. RAAus understand their privacy obligations. State Roads Authorities understand their obligations, too. CASA says it can because it wrote itself a regulation requiring it to do so. That is just plain arrogance.

i think this is a very appropriate area in which to challenge the way they do business and hope others will make a similar complaint.

kaz