PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA approval required for a fly-in???
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2018, 08:41
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunfish
.....and of course they then need a new fully staffed fly in approvals and control section

Sunfish,
Already done, the rapidly expanding Sports Aviation Office Empire/Fiefdom/Silo/Administrative Center of Air Safety Excellence/description of choice is very much in being, and under "new management" will be out to "make its mark".

At the risk of being just a teensie weensie bit controversial, which I am not normally, but in this case I will make an exception:

"CASA has no power to control airshows, to the degree that any legislation administered by CASA that seeks to control airshows is unconstitutional".

Quite simply (nothing to do with Constitutional interpretation is ever simple) and unlike many/most other countries, the Commonwealth of Australia has, in fact, very limited powers over aviation.

In a nutshell, aviation is "state's rights", not the Commonwealth Government.

The Commonwealth power, such as it is, depends on the treaty making powers of the Commonwealth under the constitution, if it isn't in an aviation treaty (Chicago et al) CASA (the Commonwealth) has no power.

Show me the "airshow/fly-in" provisions of any aviation treaty.

Let's see what this brings out of the woodwork??

Tootle pip!!

PS: I am not saying this is a "good thing", as it happens I think there should be cost benefit justified rules to control genuine risks at "airshows", but not the increasingly over the top nonsense of "perceived" risks.
And certainly not the CASA propensity to treat any gathering as an "enhanced localised opportunity to conduct intensive aviation safety surveillance" (ramp checks to you and me.)