PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Hons)
Thread: (Hons)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2018, 23:43
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
What annoys me is the fact that my 2:1 degree which I got at the advanced age of 47 in 1993, and which I was congratulated on at the time now seems to be the norm, with a fair proportion of graduates getting firsts. On our year, out of 19 of us doing Russian degrees, only one got a first, and even he had to do a viva to confirm it. Of the remainder the split between 2:1s and 2:2s was about 40/60. Universities will tell you there has been no dilution of standards, but the figures speak for themselves

Not that it matters much to me, it's many years since I signed myself

TTN, BA (Exon)

I think that if you get annoyed by someone putting Cantab or Oxon after their name it says more about you than them. Good luck to them I say. I hope one or all of my kids will one day get to do the same. If they don’t I’ll still be just as proud.
Amen to that. A very proud day for us was attending our daughter's degree ceremony at the Sheldonian in Oxford, where she got her M.Litt. She quite shamelessly puts M.Litt (Oxon) after her name, with her MA and BA from Nottingham. It has impressed a few employers, even though nobody has a clue what an M.Litt is!