PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie pilots, help!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2018, 17:23
Stilllookingup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie pilots, help!

Hi all,

So I'm stuck. I want to get my CPL and work as a pilot. I'm 34 and finally in a position to do and afford the training. My problem is - I have a young child and an unsupportive missus. Mostly unsupportive because she, and I, don't know where there money is going to come from in 2 years when I finish the training.
So, what my questions are;
Once one finishes a Diploma in Aviation and IR does anyone know what my options might be for employment ? With only 150-200 hrs total flight time under my belt, flying an A380 for Qantas is out of the question.
If i were young, single or no kid, flying crop duster in the outback might be an ok way to get some hours but I am kind of limited in that way.
What could someone look to for a wage straight out of a flight school? Not super in it for the massive cash but, knowing what I was looking at may help my missus understand.
Say I were to land a scenic flight gig straight up, what do people do to look at a major airline? Do you just keep applying and hope for the best or do you self fund a type rating? Like 20-50k from what I can find out.
And lastly, if one got a crack a the big boys how does a daily/weekly/monthly schedule work? E.g. Bris-Syd-Mel-Bris on a day or more/less. 5 days a week? 6,7,14?

Anyhow, if some one has any info that can help or some helpful hints or warnings it would be greatly appreciated .

Regards,

Actually, one more.
I see all these offerings of big paying jobs overseas, China etc. Are you all applying for these positions? Or, are they a bit of a wank?