PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350: "Hold my beer son and watch this!"
Old 7th Jul 2018, 10:49
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
Crab, I was able to fly a wing-over as well as any other pilot. It's just that I didn't do it in an attempt to impress the troops I was about to pick up - I learned very early in my time as a squadron pilot that many of them were scared enough as it was, at the thought of a helicopter trip. A scared, sickly soldier is no use to anybody and our job was to deliver them at very low level straight to the scene of the battle and get the hell out of it. There was no place for showboat flying.

As far as your point about poor supervision on the Puma fleet is concerned, all I can say is that during my time I would most certainly dispute that. I joined the OCU just after the fatal Norway accident (door fell off, taking out the tail rotor) and the fatal Belize accident (engine failure during a night departure from a jungle clearing). Six weeks after I joined my first squadron we lost another crew during Op Agila. After those accidents, supervision was very tight indeed and OCU output standards were also squeezed very tightly; no prisoners were taken - ask a few more on this forum who experienced it first hand.

Unfortunately, after the Chinook became the SH fleet's new toy in the 1980s, the Puma fleet was pushed to the background and this may be the reason standards slipped. Thankfully, by that time, I had moved on to fixed wing and was happily teaching aerobatics etc.