PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wide Body Time
Thread: Wide Body Time
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2018, 09:39
flyer47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It’s just different, a larger aircraft has greater inertia so one needs to plan ahead a little more than on a narrow body. However, it’s not really any different from transitioning from a twin engine piston to a turboprop and from a turboprop to a jet. Lots of flights can be over large bodies of water or over very sparsely populated areas where the closest airport can be three hours flying time away. Flying to China from the Middle East over the Himalayas takes a little bit of planning to avoid some rather high cumulogranite in an emergency situation but one is trained to do it.

Widebody aircraft are very stable and have a lot of built in redundancy. Once one becomes used to the handling characteristics of the aircraft and the environment in which one is flying, it an easy transition for any decently trained pilot.

Some widebody pilots will try and convince you it takes a superhuman effort to fly big aircraft. From my experience, the bigger the aircraft the easier it is to fly. As mentioned, one just needs to become accustomed to the differences

Personally, having transitioned from being a Flight Instructor where every student is out to kill you, to a turboprop pilot flying to places like the Scottish Highlands and into Leeds Bradford, then to a jet pilot and a Captain flying to major European Cities and to the Greek Islands where there are lots of circle to land approaches. To Cat C airports such as Innsbruck, Salzburg, Ajaccio, Funchal & Gibraltar, I can honestly say, even with Far Eastern weather, Chinese ATC, lots of night flying, long ETOPS segments and jet lag, being a widebody Captain is the easiest flying job I’ve ever had.