PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone Collision with helicopter = tail rotor failure
Old 6th Jul 2018, 23:31
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR1
Well those old 27MHz sets were rated at half a watt (ERP), which means that you would have to have been much closer to model than its operator's transmitter to be able to swamp it in that way with a mere 100mW. And that then begs the question as to why, when you knew it was an established model-flying site, you apparently repeatedly flew close to it rather than choosing another route. How high were you at the time? You apparently remained close to it for quite a while since you maintained visual contact while watching it "gyrating towards the ground" (at normal approach speeds you'd have just a few seconds before it was well behind you).

But on the face of it you have just confessed to a prima facie case of criminal damage and violating the ANO. If I actually believed the story had any basis in reality I would report it, but I think we both know why I won't be doing that.

PDR
First, the military HF in our helicopters had significantly more than half a watt in the 1960s and 1970s. It was an essential part of our comms package for world wide contact.

Second, what ANO in the 1960-70s do you imagine related to operations of remote controlled models, and how do you suggest anything was in violation by a military helicopter?

For a model plane driver you do seem to come here with some ill informed and unwarranted nonsense.