PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monopoly ruse
Thread: Monopoly ruse
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2018, 22:19
Britace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW2 Escape Buttons

Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
I've got one of those interesting escape buttons which unscrews to reveal a little compass. Mine happens to be an army "General Service" pattern button, and I have certainly seen RAF and RCAF buttons with the same arrangement.

What has always intrigued me though is what use they really were? Other than early on in the war, say up to the end of 1940, RAF aircrew didn't fly in No 1 uniforms, which were the only ones to have brass buttons, and similarly army troops, including officers, would be wearing battledress when in the combat area, not service dress. Was this one of those ideas which looked great on paper, but in fact was never of any practical use? Did anyone, in fact, ever use to one to assist an escape? Or were they a bit like all those saucepans which got melted down and were never turned into Spitfires!

RAF crews actually retained their service dress much later than the ‘official ‘ withdrawal dates, aircrew are seen in photographs dated after 1943 in Service Dress. Fleet Air Arm moved to a form of BD (number 5a rig) but then put brass buttons back on them... described as: Number 5a: Blue/black serge "battledress" type blouse with serge lapels, exposed guilt RN buttons, and a button fastening on the waist (as opposed to the buckle fastening on Army Battledress), and blue/black serge trousers.

If you read the MI9 escape reports, there are frequent references to use of escape button compasses. In fact, there was an MI9 debriefing form which specifically asked high Escape devices were used, what they found useful and what could be improved...

currently, I am aware of the following Escape Buttons, but would welcome hearing of any which have been Seen, by others:

Royal Artillery
Reconnaissance Corps
General Service button
Royal Air Force
RNZAF
RCAF
Polish Air Force
USAAF
Australian Armed Forces
New Zealand Armed Forces
British Staff Officer's button
Berkshire Regiment