PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 6th Jul 2018, 22:10
Ellis_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for becoming a Pilot.

Good evening, all!

I am a 15 year old student working towards my PPL and I would appreciate some advice to achieve my ultimate ambition of becoming a medium/long haul pilot for a large airline.

Currently, I am about to start flying a light aircraft(possibly a PA-28) and have started studying the 7 books. From here I would like to get an IFR rating, multi-engine rating and frozen ATPL.

Are these advisable ratings to carry out and are there any other recommended? Also, does anyone have a rough estimate as to what these ratings would cost, I am aware of the PPL costs?

I am also hoping to get a Class 1 medical at Gatwick before I "waste" any money.

With regards to current experience, I have been flying 7 times with the RAFAC in the Grob Tutor 115E and have four hours in the back of an R44.

This week, I also carried out work experience at Humberside Airport and was able to get a better picture of the industry which greatly enthused me, working with ATC, various aerospace companies and fire crews. Fortunately, I got to visit Eastern Airways which seems like a good airline to gain hours and experience, as they have employed pilots with hours as little as 200!

At school, I am currently doing well studying for my GCSEs which are: Higher Maths, Triple Science, English, Spanish, Computer Science, Electronics and Geography. For my A-Levels I am hoping to take: Maths, Physics and Geography.

Are these good options and will it be necessary to get a degree?

Could I please have some advice as to what to do next and a good path as to becoming a commercial pilot. Preferably at a lower cost than £100,000 but I appreciate that it doesn't come cheap!

Kind regards,
Ellis.