PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drone Collision with helicopter = tail rotor failure
Old 6th Jul 2018, 17:14
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
Many years ago there was a model aeroplane flying club at the old Nutts Corner airfield near Belfast International. It was also on the visual approach route for our Puma and Wessex helicopters. There used to be a joker who would fly his model towards when we where approaching; not to hit us but just for fun; we think. Flicking the HF set to 27 megs and giving a 100mw blast would lock his controls up and you would watch it furiously gyrating towards the ground.

When you thought it had about 50 ft. to go you would give it back to him.

You can't do it now because they use different frequencies.
Well those old 27MHz sets were rated at half a watt (ERP), which means that you would have to have been much closer to model than its operator's transmitter to be able to swamp it in that way with a mere 100mW. And that then begs the question as to why, when you knew it was an established model-flying site, you apparently repeatedly flew close to it rather than choosing another route. How high were you at the time? You apparently remained close to it for quite a while since you maintained visual contact while watching it "gyrating towards the ground" (at normal approach speeds you'd have just a few seconds before it was well behind you).

But on the face of it you have just confessed to a prima facie case of criminal damage and violating the ANO. If I actually believed the story had any basis in reality I would report it, but I think we both know why I won't be doing that.

PDR