PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Farley
Thread: John Farley
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2018, 16:18
Wig Wag

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wig Wag
Very sad news.

Some years ago I posted a message on Pprune asking for help with a project and John Farley kindly responded. I had the pleasure of lunch with him and Mrs Farley. He was quite the most naturally intelligent and unassuming character. One of Britain's finest aviators and a true English gentleman.

RIP a very great man whose quietly stated contribution to British aviation was enormous.
John Farley's ability to translate the complicated into the simple left a lasting impression on me. He had made an art of explaining situations, issues and technical matters in a way in which a layman could understand. Obviously that is part of the skill set of the test pilot by JF clearly wanted everyone to understand what a clever project the Harrier was.

I think 'A View from the Hover' should be required reading for anyone considering a career in aerospace be they a pilot or an engineer.

There was another side to JF too. Aviation abounds with impressive characters but JF stood out as a caring and principled man. He was a great role model and that is something else than be looked to.