PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2018, 14:14
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by propertee64
Conso, David's website contains very detailed Excel spreadsheets with key data for each section of the flight. Will your suggested Excel solver set up provide all that detailed input David has used plus
the facility being to easily change the input data?
David did send me his spreadsheet- but as it turns out- I am aware of his extensive calculations. But whil my solver setup can be expanded to incorporate his data, it turns out only a few ' gates" ( known data such as time overt ontario, time she said must be over, and straight line milage data, and provisions fo ight angle to track search times and probable wind and GVW are really needed. bsically i related everything to thru lockheed report re staging for max range, gallons per hour, to com up with a ' viable- probable' solution. I'm using half hour iterations, a few basic IF then statements, time and milage gates, etc. Results in about 12 colums and about 60 rows of simple relationhips and about a dozen variables. While I currently have an answer to my model which 1) matches lockheed data for max range within less than 2 percent range difference and related gross weight at takeoff and at TARE ( at gas exhaustion ) , and 2) using earhart ' gates ' shows that it is highly probable that when she turned she was around 700 miles short and 3) with near constant wind throughout, it is not in a suitable form for ' publication' with a page of explanations as to why and how I believe it to be a ' reasonable' solution with virtually no tweaks resulting in a force fit to desired result- or IOW using minimum data and based based on minimum known data which ' establishes' that she could VERY PROBABLY have flown back to PNG. Hopefully in a week or so, I'll have it in ' explanation and publishable form- and then I'll run a cross check with davids data which I think is also a reasonable solution.- This Is cuz I fully expect to have a few trolls and such " prove" me wrong etc. without the courtesy of running my model.

Later on in a day or so, I will list th half dozen ' gates" and probable time and gallons- wind and GVW data which result in a 50 mile or less closure. at fuel = ZERO.

Conso

Last edited by CONSO; 6th Jul 2018 at 14:20. Reason: typos- fat fingers especially early in AM